The Coronado Defense Forces'
This unit is the 23rd Armored Cavalry Regiment of the Coronado Defense Forces, better known as the Hong Kong Crusaders.
After the war, the Crusaders were discharged en masse from UMFA service, but almost all of them accepted offers from the Coronado government to join its fledgling defense forces. The Crusaders continued their fine tradition of service to Coronado into the early 1920's as the CDF's 23rd Armored Regiment.
Officials from the UMF, Coronado, and the Mekong Dominion hammered out the Treaty of Coronado in late TN 1924. Under the terms of the treaty, Mercantilist and Mekongese volunteers would serve with the 23rd under Coronado authority, subject to recall at any time by their native forces. The 23rd's mandate was expanded to conduct peacekeeping operations throughout the Badlands at the request of local governments, and they could also participate in certain exercises sponsored by the UMF or Dominion if invited to do so. (This last clause, however, was rarely exercised by the UMF and never by the Dominion.)
Trade agreements were worked out between Coronado and the polar governments to obtain armor and other equipment beyond the county's production capabilities, and the Crusaders were reformed into their current organization. To reflect their expanded capabilities and unique position, the unit was redesignated the 23rd Armored Cavalry Regiment.
Coronado was effectively left on its own, a well-defended county with a history of neutrality and placing humanitarian concerns above polar politics. Coronado finally disentangled itself from the poles and joined NuCoal in TN 1938. The Crusaders have since become a respected force throughout the Badlands, both in the battles against the New Human Republic in the Great White Desert and for their relief efforts following the destruction of Peace River in TN 1939.
In memory of their sacrifice, the company declared that 2nd Platoon would never be reformed, but instead would become the company's honor unit. The company also took the name Hong Kong Crusaders to commemorate their fallen comrades.
The honor unit was renamed 2nd Squadron when the regiment's current structure was adopted. The 2nd is also sometimes referred to as McKenna's Squadron, in reference to Lieutenant Bryan McKenna, the commander of 2nd Platoon who died with his men that day in 1914.
The Treaty of Coronado brought about another unique tradition amongst the Crusaders. Even though they retained the identity of a regiment, the expansions made possible by the Treaty saw the Crusaders grow in strength to that of a brigade. Colonel Jack Sanlander wanted to properly acknowledge the authority of his squadron commanders, each of whom commanded a unit which would be a regiment in any other army on Terra Nova. He therefore proposed reviving a level of rank in the Coronado Defense Forces which had fallen into disuse in other armies. The Coronado government approved, and since 1925 each squadron of the Crusaders has been commanded by a Lieutenant Colonel.
Lieutenant (now Lt. Colonel) Stephen "Boomer" Brooks came up with the idea of updating antiquated designs to modern specifications. As a student of history, "Boomer" knew that the first use of combined arms forces in the peacekeeping role occurred during the late 20th and early 21st century on Earth, so he suggested using vehicles and equipment from that era, updating them to modern technological standards, and issuing them to the Crusaders.
The plan was heartily approved by the Coronado government, both as an ingenious solution to this dilemma and as a means of expanding Coronado's industrial capabilities. Bids from Banzaidyne were accepted, production begun, and vehicles which had not been seen in over four thousand years appeared on a planet thousands of light years away from where they were originally designed.
Today, the 23rd is still equipped with these modern relics. The Crusaders have had several opportunities to equip themselves with modern vehicles, but they take a great deal of pride and distinction from their "antiques." Even after a hiatus of four millenia, the vehicles and equipment of the 23rd Armored Cavalry Regiment are being used to their full potential.
|War of The Alliance Crest||Current Color Crest||Current Subdued Crest|
The crest of the 23rd ACR is developed from the original 23rd Emergency Services Company insignia. Since the company primarily operated along Federation Route 276, a UMFA Route shield with the number "23" became the unit's logo through the War of the Alliance. When the 23rd ACR was formed, the tricolor band on top of the shield was changed from the three shades of blue in the UMFA flag to the three traditional colors of the combat services within the Crusaders' structure (artillery red, armor yellow, and infantry blue).
Regimental Motto: "Shall Not Perish"
Other Notable Personalities:
Personnel in Service: 4275
Table of Organization and Equipment: Refer to TOE 1 WI 1941
Current Assignment: Garrison duty at Coronado, Khayr ad-Din